About Round Table
In the 18th century, the neighbourhood of St Martins Lane, where the Round Table sit, was the resort of ‘horse and fighting men’. It was in the taverns that the fancy regularly met for many years and arranged historical fights. The sign of the Round Table indicated that even-handed justice was observed within and that all corners were treated alike. The present building dates back to 1877 when the area had major redevelopment to provide for a road between Oxford Street and Charing Cross. This made available land which was bought and built upon by Sir Charles Wyndham, the famous Actor Manager, and so began the traditions of theatre land with the Wyndhams and Albery Theatres named after the owner and stepson respectively. In the following years the Round Table has grown closer to the world of theatre and is a welcome meeting place for actors and audiences alike.