About Rose & Crown
Our pub was once used as the living quarters for Oliver Cromwell's bodyguards. It was originally named 'The Oliver Cromwell' and remained so from 1643 to 1678. The pub was then renamed 'The Rose & Crown' and has traded ever since under that sign which consists of a royal crown surmounting a Tudor rose, symbolising the union of the houses of Lancaster and York. Since the late 18th century the Rose & Crown has stood in the shadow of Aspley House, in which the first Duke of Wellington lived for 35 years until his death in 1852. In those days the mansion was known as 'No 1 London' because it was at that point that the countryside ended and London began. We have an upstairs dining room with its own bar available for private hire.