About Prince of Wales
The Prince of Wales was formerly a 17th century coaching inn, frequently visited by Dick Turpin during his highway man years. The old cellar in the pub, now known as Bertie’s Bar, Kitchen and Courtyard was previously built to shelter travellers’ horses. Opening Berties in 1971 involved demolishing much of the original stonework and now only the cobbles beneath the flagstones remain as a reminder of the past. Built in 1870, the house only became known as the Prince of Wales after 1891 when 20,000 British soldiers were paraded before the Kaiser on Wimbledon Common We are happy to offer function facilities at The Prince of Wales and can cater for parties as we as having a first floor completely dedicated to training and business meetings.