About Museum Tavern
The Museum Tavern was expanded in 1855 and much of what you see today dates from then or a little later. Despite the removal of partitions that divided Victorian drinkers, many original features remain, like much of the carved wooden fittings, etched and cut glass outer windows and some coloured leaded-glass detail. The pub is the proud work of architect William Finch Hill and is probably his only surviving work, save for the recently reopened Hat & Feathers in Clerkenwell. Hill was well known for his music hall designs but alas these seem to have all gone. In the early eighteenth century a pub called the Dog & Duck stood there. Its name reflecting the hunting that took place on the surrounding swamps and ponds. The British Museum was built in the 1760's and the pub changed its name to suit. Past customers include, J.B. Priestley, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Karl Marx. Visitors to the British Museum who have absorbed enough culture will always find a warm welcome in the Museum Tavern across the street.