THE GREEN MAN
The Green Man in Euston has stood at the junction of Marylebone Road and Portland Place for over 300 years, making it the oldest pub in this historic and artistic area of Fitzrovia, London.
The Green Man is quite a common name for a pub; London itself has 30 pubs with this name alone! The original name comes from images in churches as a face peering through, or made of, leaves and petals. But, The Green Man in more modern times is associated with Robin Hood and his men dressed in Lincoln green cloth.
The road which the Green Man sits is Euston Road; this is part of the 'New Road' from Paddington to Islington and was opened in 1756. It was London's first bypass through the fields to North London. Originally the road was built to provide a route for sheep and cattle to be driven to the famous Smithfield Market and for this reason the road ended at Islington where it joined the existing St Johns Street. The road provided a quicker route for army units to exit London.
Strips of terrace houses developed along both sides of the Road and in 1832 Euston Station opened to the North of the New Road. The Fitzroy Family had become the main property owner in the area and in 1852 the Road was renamed as Euston Road after 'Euston Hall' their country house.
Euston Road links onto Tottenham Court Road and during the 1960s office developments grew around this junction including the Euston Tower skyscraper that now forms part of Regent's Place, attracting a number of significant tenants, most notably the former ITV broadcaster Thames Television who had their corporate headquarters and a number of studios there from 1970 to 1993.